The best thing about the winter time has to be the soups. Some of our favorite soups include:
However, this Thai Mushroom Chicken Soup is a new favorite. I’m adding to our list. It was a touch spicy for my kids, but you can easily adjust that (just use less Thai Kitchen Chili Paste). Anyway, it has so much flavor and plenty of bone broth. It does have a longer list of ingredients than my typical recipes, but this soup is a keeper and I’m excited to make it again.
I just used 1 pack of mushrooms, but I think next time I’ll use two. I mean, is there anything better than mushrooms sauteed in butter?
I like the Thai Kitchen Chili Paste, which is available at most grocery stores including Whole Foods and Publix. Or, you could use Mae Ploy Curry or Panang (which I get online). The Mae Ploy brands are a little spicy though. I got the Mae Ploy Panang in attempt to recreate a Panang dish I had at one of my favorite restaurants, True Foods. I will be hopefully making that this week.
Just to re-emphasize the hot warning if you use the WHOLE container of Mae Ploy instead of say just 2 teaspoons. We learned the hard way back in 2013 (see old post here). And by “we”…I really mean Tate.
Hard to believe that my little guy is turning 7 next week!! Thanks for always being such a good sport, Tate!
Thai Mushroom Chicken Soup
Write a review
- 1 10 oz package raw sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter (for mushrooms)
- 4 tsp grated fresh ginger (easy ginger trick)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, halved lengthwise
- 2 tsp chili paste
- 3 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 1/4 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 whole chicken (slow cooked or rotisserie)
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- cook mushrooms until they turn brown (15 or so minutes) stirring occasionally. While those are cooking, get the rest of your other ingredients ready Then, once the mushrooms are brown, add in the garlic and some more butter so it can brown, then add in the rest of your ingredients
- I added broccoli to it the first time I made it but think next time I will just double the mushrooms.
- Here is a link for slow cooking chicken: http://stiritup.me/?p=9899.
Stir It Up! https://stiritup.me/