Hi all! I know it’s been quite awhile since I’ve posted any recipes but please be patient with me. I have been cooking…A LOT. I promise! And I have lots to share, but unfortunately it’s going to have to wait awhile, but please keep checking back!
So my friend Mary told me about a fun dish that I couldn’t wait to make (of course, because it had spaghetti squash in it!) . She said she got it from one of my favorite sites, PaleOMG. If you haven’t checked out Juli’s site, you need to do so immediately! Actually, no wait….don’t because then you won’t come back to my site. Hers is just so great!! Anyway, this recipe is fabulous because it is so versatile.
We made a few changes that were more specific to our taste, but hey, it’s pizza, well, kind of. You can add anything you like to it! There is a Whole Food’s mozzarella cheese on it for the kids along with a little raw cow’s milk Parmesan. I just took the cheese off of mine and it was just as good!
Sweet, impatient little guy. While Tate, my husband and I really enjoyed it, my daughter said it wasn’t her favorite. That is her polite way of saying she didn’t like it at all. So there you go, majority wins on this one. You can’t win them all, all of the time, right? I think if I added more pepperoni and bacon, that might have helped. I know I would have eaten even more (assuming I actually had room left in my stomach)…
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced (I used Trader Joe’s pre-cut onion, shallot, garlic pack)
- 1 15 oz. can pizza sauce (or just make your own using tomato sauce, dried basil, pepper and oregano)
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- lots of pepperoni (Wellshire brand no nitrates)
- black olives
- 2 tsp butter (for sauteing onions)
- green peppers, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes and anything else you’d like!
What you need to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- While that is cooking, saute your onions with butter and then put your onions in a 9×12 baking dish.
- Next cook the sausage in the same pan and cook until no longer pink. Then add to the baking dish.
- Then, once squash is done cooking, let it cool for about few minutes. Once you can hold it, or use a oven mit, remove squash with a fork and place in baking dish.
- Now add pizza sauce, eggs, Italian spices and salt and pepper to the dish and mix well.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes until your cheese is brown (if you use cheese).
UPDATED: I made it tonight with a pound of ground chicken (Publix Greenwise since I don’t love WF’s Kosher) also and added some extra dried basil, 1 large can (28oz) and 1 small can (15oz) of diced tomatoes instead of sauce, and salt and oregano. It turned out great and made LOTS, which is great for lunches for me for the week. And,I loved it even more this time!