I just got home from work, and my daughter exclaimed, “this is THE BEST thing I’ve made so far!!!” That’s a big statement from a little girl, but this little girl can bake. Some of her favorites include molten lava cakes, granola balls, ice cream and chocolate pie. And while I haven’t tried her new favorite yet, between you and me, there is no way that it’s better than her chocolate pie. It’s amazing. Anyway, since watching the show Master Chef Jr,. she has really gotten into baking lately, and recently decided she wants to start her own baking business. She is going to start out small by selling treats locally, and is really excited about it. In order to get some direction, I posted on my Facebook page to find out what people would want to try. The thing that came up time and again was interest in a healthy breakfast/snack. She took this direction as a direct challenge, and this is what she came up with.
Edit: Okay, I just tried the cake. It is unbelievable, and I’m totally addicted. Really. Like, she has to sell all of this bread or I’m going to eat ever last bit of it. And with less than 10 grams of sugar per serving, protein and good healthy fats, both parents and kids will be happy with this one….
What is fun about this bread is that there are so many different possibilities of variation. You could add raisins and have cinnamon raisin bread or chocolate chips or add nuts or use seed/hemp hearts for extra nut-free protein, or make it nut free using a good sunflower seed butter (but it will turn green, which can be fun, unless you add some lemon juice). Anyway, I hope y’all love this breakfast bread as much as we all do!!
- 1 cup creamy cashew butter (you could also use almond or sunflower seed butter)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients.
- Use a hand blender to blend all ingredients together well.
- Grease bread 5x9 bread pan.
- Pour batter into pan and cook for 55-60 minutes or until you stick a butter knife in the bread and it comes out clean.
- If you don't have a hand blender, then you can mix the wet ingredients in medium bowl and the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry until well combined and continue to follow directions above.