Every week for years now we have made a whole chicken in the crock pot, and we have loved it. But, I think it’s safe to say that this particular weekly staple has just ended. My friend Eileen told me about her “very favorite chicken” recipe over a year ago, and I just happened to find it. I think it took me so long to make it because, well, while it’s pretty, it is also just chicken and it didn’t seem super exciting to be honest (sorry Eileen!). But the taste absolutely blew us away!! While the picture is pretty (except for my sad dish…please don’t judge!) it just cannot come close to reflecting the taste! What makes this so amazing is two things. First, the onions. Next time, I will use at least two onions if i can fit them in the dish. I had no idea roasted onions had so much flavor!! Second, and this is the most important (so why I didn’t start this with one? I don’t know) but the natural sauce is everything with this dish. You HAVE to use the sauce surrounding the chicken for dipping. It’s so good!
Thanks for the great recipe Eileen, and congrats to you and your team on your race this weekend!!
It was totally his fault. He started nibbling, and then I did, and then Alice did….
And then after the three of us attacked it (before dinner!), this is what was left. It was so good we just couldn’t wait. Poor Tate. You snooze you loose around here…
- 1 (4-5 pound) whole chicken
- 4 tbsp ghee, melted
- 2 tbsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 large red onions, cut into slices (1 inch or so)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Place chicken in roasted pan or dish.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel or cloth.
- Melt ghee and rub in between skin and chicken. Then rub the remaining ghee all over the skin.
- Sprinkle the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place onions in pan on sides and try to make sure they aren't overlapping.
- Cook for 30 minutes and then turn pan 180 degrees and cook for another 25 minutes or until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- Be sure the chicken breast internal temperature reached 160 degrees. Let it cool for about 15 or so minutes.