Phew! It’s finally summer here in Atlanta. This May was crazier than Christmas time, wasn’t it?? Anyway, after getting through the first of my nutritional events, and Tate’s preschool graduation (this picture was post-graduation – my big boy!)…
and my kid’s crazy sports schedule and my daughter final day at school yesterday, I finally feel somewhat more relaxed and hope y’all do too! Bring on some pool time!
Fortunately for us, summer is filled with swim meets and some beach time. This time of year, I get a lot of questions about snacks. We can’t always have good homemade snacks or treats, so there is something to be said about packaged and convenient foods. I just like to be sure we pick some snacks/treats that are the best options for my family, while at the same time, letting them enjoy something different and fun.
Here are some of the beach/pool snacks or treats that my kids enjoy…
1. Nutty Bites from Trader Joe’s – Dark chocolate covered nuts. This yummy treat taste like See’s candy!
2. Kale Krunch from Whole Foods – Our favorite kale chips. Many times you can find these for $1 off. Every little bit helps, especially when it comes to kale chips as they are not cheap!
3. Way Better Snacks from Whole Foods – Our kids love these Doritos imitators, but as the name says they have”way better” ingredients.
4. Beanitos from Whole Foods – My son calls these “Cheese its”. As far as chips go, I am really happy with these ingredients and the fact that they are actually certified “low glycemic”. They have a very simple black bean or pinto bean chip with sea salt, as well as a spicy chip and cheese one.
5. Macaroon’s Omega-3s from Whole Foods. These guys do a horrible job marketing per the label (as you can see) but these are a staple dessert in our house year-round. The few ingredients in these are simple and with pretty low sugar at 4 grams per macaroon.
6. Smooze popsciles from Whole Foods. With 9-12 grams of sugar and coconut milk as one of the few ingredients, this one is a winner too.
These chocolate nutty treats are addictive so be careful!
Some other treats from Whole Foods (or online) include:
- Honest Kids drinks for the beach some times
- Love Crunch Granola (since it has more sugar with 9 grams per serving)
- Envirokidz Organic Crispy Rice Bars (with 6-8 grams of sugar) for a treat
- Wholly Granolly
- or even just some organic 100% blue corn tortilla chips.
While we do more of the packaged fun treats during the summer, we also make sure that we are also drinking plenty of water and snacking on plenty of fruit, veggies and nuts. It’s all about a balance for me and this time of year, and while my scale may lean a little differently now then during the school year, I’m okay with that. I’d much rather try to balance these snacks versus a red Iccee full of chemicals and sugars!
What are some of your favorite pool time treats?
By the way, speaking of kid’s snacks, for June/July, I am going to host some nutritional events about and for kids at ACHIM. I am really excited about this! As we will have one meeting for parents and the other for kids so they can come and sample some fun healthy foods!! Anyway, we are thinking about having them around 4:00 on a weekday. Does that sound like a good time for everyone? Any other suggestions? Will let you guys know the details once we have a schedule. Stay tuned…
And Happy Memorial Day!!