Okay, now we’re ready to make the Cashew Chicken. Here is what you need:
- 1 1/2 lb organic chicken, cut into pieces
- shitake mushroom, 1 package
- bok choy, 2-3 heads chopped
- scallions, 2-3 chopped
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, crushed (skip this or use sunflower seeds if nut allergies)
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (Whole Foods/Publix)
- 1 pack cashew butter (or 2 tbsp) or sunflower butter if nut allergy
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic or 3-4 fresh cloves
- 3 tbsp tamari (available at Whole Foods, Publix and most other grocery stores)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
- 5-10 drops stevia (depending on your preference for sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp pepper or cayenne pepper
1. In a large soup bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients (from above) and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil on medium heat in pan and cook chicken until it is mostly cooked through and set aside in a large bowl. I used a chicken I slow cooked all day but either is fine.
3. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil on medium heat in skillet and sautee mushrooms for a few minutes.
4. Add (well stirred) sauce and chicken to the mushrooms and cook on high for a minute or two and then turn down to low and cook until the sauce starts to thicken.
5. Just as the sauce is beginning to thinken, add in your bok choy (spinach would work well too) and scallions, stir and let cook on low for about 5 more minutes.
4. Stir in the cashews pieces, spoon over cauliflower “rice” and enjoy!