Agggh, why don’t the words “cooking'” and “summer” go together lately?? I just can’t get motivated this time of year to cook. I. Need. Simple. And guess what, this meal is it. And, it’s kid-friendly. It’s like a burrito bowl but with way better ingredients, and it was so EASY to make…I’m talking summer easy.
All you need to do it make a whole chicken and by “making” a whole chicken (see here for directions), I just mean you need to stick it in the crock pot, add some spices, and let the cooker do the rest.
Once the chicken is done, shred it, and then place it in a large bowl along with about 1/3 cup of chicken stock from the crock pot (this will occur naturally without adding any liquids to your chicken). Then add about 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt and pepper or to your taste preference. Then mix it with some rice, black beans or whatever you prefer. Then add your favorite toppings (we love Whole Foods pre-made pico de gallo) and you’re good to go!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/3 cup chicken stock (made naturally from your whole chicken, no need to add liquids)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste (about 1 tsp each)
- 1-2 cans beans, if desired
- rice, if desired
- pico de gallo (pre-made from Whole Foods or another store) or salsa
- shredded cheese, if desired
- avocados for guacamole
- Slow cook a whole chicken (see http://stiritup.me/?p=151 for details).
- Shred chicken and add chicken broth from bottom of crock pot.
- Add spices, beans and rice if desired.
- Top with your favorite ingredients and enjoy!