With temperatures already in the high 80’s (that was quick, wasn’t it?) this might have to be the week of salads. They are so good and refreshing this time of year, and can make for such an easy dinner.
When we were in California, I needed some breakfast for the early flight home. So, I picked up a Mediterranean chicken salad at a local store the day before and it was a great breakfast, believe it or not! Anyway, I finally got around to trying to replicate it and it was a huge hit in our family, even with my olive-hating husband. He actually said, “please make this once a week.” I couldn’t believe it.
Anyway, last night, my sweet husband grilled up 3 pounds of chicken on The Egg, which makes things like this and the Chinese chicken salad so so easy to make later in the week. I think we’ve just added a new staple to our Sunday routine…
So this is more chicken, less salad, but the amount of spinach is up to you. This is what I used:
- 1 lb. grilled chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh calamata olives (Whole Foods olive bar)
- organic cherry tomatoes, cut in half (used most of the container so about 1 cup)
- purple onion (I used half of a precut container so the equivalent of about 1/2 onion)
- 1/4 cup regular crumbled feta
- handful or two of spinach
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp tarragon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp red wine
- celtic sea salt, a dash or two
Here’s what you need to do:
- Cut up tomatoes, chicken and onions and olives and put in a large bowl.
- Add in the feta and stir all together.
- In a small bowl, use all of the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dressing to the large bowl and stir well.
- Finally, toss in a handful (or two) of spinach and enjoy!
If you don’t use too much spinach, it saves really well for leftovers.