About a year ago, I saw a Jamie Oliver Food Revolution episode that I wanted my kids to watch. I’m always trying to educate them on nutrition and this was the perfect opportunity! Since we sometimes are a minority by not (ever!) going to McDonalds, Wendy’s, etc. I wanted, I needed, my kids to understand why mommy doesn’t take them to these places. After showing Alice this video (Tate was just 3 so we have a way to go on him), she said “that is disgusting, I don’t ever want McDonald’s.” Which of course makes me so happy because at some point, they have to draw their own conclusions, they have to make their own choices, and this is one choice that I don’t think will be an issue for my kids. If you haven’t seen it already, I highly recommend you watch this 6 minute clip from the Jamie Oliver show, and have your kids watch it as well.
The next new thing we’ve been hearing so much about in the media is “pink slime”. Food is certainly not always what it seems and this other Jamie Oliver clip is great at explaining just how fast food or school nuggets are made. Unfortunately, Jamie’s experiment failed (because the US kids still wanted to eat it. Ughh!) so maybe just show your kids the first few minutes until Jamie asks “now who would eat this?”.
Unfortunately these fillers are not just in fast food restaurants but they are also in our kids school cafeterias (which is changing soon thankfully! see this article) and in most (70%) of the meat in our grocery stores. So, how do we avoid it? I know buying organic isn’t always cheap, but between these nasty fillers, chemicals, oh and the hormones and antibiotics these animals are on, the organic stuff is well worth it!
In honor of Jamie Oliver, I made some fabulous Coconut Fried Chicken Nuggets that were ammonia free, pink goo free, horomone free & gluten free and I promise they were far better than any processed “chicken” nugget!
Here’s what you need:
- 1.5 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 free range egg
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour (Almond meal from TJ’s). Or, use coconut flour if allergies
- 1/4 cup shreadded coconut (from Whole Foods. Not the light.)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion dried
- 1 tsp salt and a dash of pepper
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
1. Wash and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
2. Mix in a large bag all of the ingredients except for the chicken and egg and set aside.
3. Now beat the egg and mix it with the chicken.
4. Add the chicken (and egg) to the plastic bag and shake until the chicken is completely covered. Make sure to hold on to the top so it doesn’t open up.
5. In a large sauce pan, heat on medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp coconut oil and add chicken in.
6. Continuously stir until the chicken starts to brown. As it cooks, the coconut oil will be soaked up by the chicken so add another 2 tbsp when the pan starts to get dry. Add more if needed, but the tricky part here is you don’t want so much oil the nuggets get soggy, and not too little where they can’t fry up nicely so just keep an eye on it.
7. Allow to cool, serve, and enjoy while watching some Jamie Oliver clips!
The boy truly doesn’t know patience! Good for me, not so good for my picture. Happy weekend everyone and thanks for reading!
By the way, I would love to hear what your kids thought about the clips, or nuggets. As always, please feel free to comment or share anytime.