I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July! Oh and Si from Duck Dynasty hopes the same, and says “hey”…
So…on a more serious note, what is going on with kids and all of these food allergies? Rarely did we hear about kids with allergies when we were growing up, so clearly something has changed. This topic fascinates me and depresses me at the same time. Did you know:
According to the CDC:
- Cases of children with severe peanut allergy more than tripled between 1997 and 2008.
- 1 out of 13 kids now has a food allergy ,with 1 out of 40 being life threatening.
- And since 1998, there was a 265% rise in food allergy hospitalization among kids.
So, what the heck happened between 1997 and now?? I’ll give you some time to think about it. Stay tuned to the next post and I’ll offer some interesting tidbits that might help you draw your own hypothesis…
While I’m not providing any clues just yet, I am offering a recipe that we use to love and honestly forgot about it. I’m so glad I remembered it!!
Here is what you need for this yummy Thai Chicken and Broccoli dish:
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (we used TJ’s light)
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat up pan on medium, add coconut oil and brown chicken on all sides.
- Steam broccoli a little while the chicken is cooking.
- Add broccoli and the rest of the ingredient to the pan with chicken.
- Cook on low for about 15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and enjoy immediately!
Have a great weekend! PS-Did you remember to mark your calendar for August 3rd and 4th? 🙂