The other morning we made these for a different kind of breakfast, and to be honest, they were pretty freaking good! So much so that when we went to a fabulous party last night (thanks again so much L!), we took them for appetizers. It was something a little different, simple, and yet still paleo. And, it was so nice being able to buy pre-cut sweet potato cubes from Trader Joe’s to make it super easy. Love that place!
Here’s how to make the bacon wrapped sweet potatoes:
- 1/2 bag of Trader Joe’s pre-cut sweet potato cubes (about 3 cups) or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb uncured no nitrate bacon (I use Trader Joe’s 40 percent less fat, no nitrate bacon)
- 2 tbsp Kerrygold butter or ghee
- 1 tsp (or more to your liking) Celtic sea salt
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. If you have whole sweet potatoes, peel them and cut them lengthwise into quarters. Then cut each quarter in half, and then half again.
- Melt butter over low-heat and stir in celtic sea salt . Toss the potatoes in the salted, melted butter to coat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Put about 3 pieces of bacon together at a time, and then cut the row of bacon about 3-4 times so each piece is about 1.5-2 inches long.
- Put the toothpick on the top end of the bacon strip, put it through the sweet potato cube, and back through the bacon. Repeat.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet, put your wraps on the paper side by side, and bake for 45 minutes, turning once about halfway through.
- These are done when the bacon is crispy and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from heat, drizzle with maple syrup, and let cool before serving. Enjoy!
Tate’s response after trying one was, and I quote, “MMMMMMMMMmmmmm”. Then, he left the kitchen, came back shorty after leaving, and said “Mom!!!” and gave me two thumbs up!
It’s like a shark taking the bait….