Now that Christmas is over, we have a ton of leftovers, especially turkey. But I’m really happy about that because after eating paleo “treats” and other things, I’m really ready for something completely healthy, clean, low calorie, oh, and warm on a day like today. So, I made a huge pot of yummy, feel good, vegetable soup. I love having this stuff around for the week, so much so that I ate it for breakfast this morning, and my family is now sitting around eating it for lunch. And, Tate is especially loving it. Yay! And, as always, it was super easy to make. Here’s what you need:
Use any of your favorite vegetables! I used:
- my favorite sausage to spice it up some (Whole Foods)
- fresh garlic
- tomato or vegetable soup (I only used the tomato soup today; didn’t need both like I thought I would)
- homemade bone broth (organic chicken broth is fine too)
- a good heaping of celtic sea salt
- any spices you love. I used basil and oregano.
Cook the sausage in a very large pot until brown, pour in the liquids, add the vegetables that will take a bit longer to cook i.e. the okra and broccoli. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, then add in the rest of the veggies, spices and cover. Allow to cook on low for about 3 or so hours. I’ve also made this, in the past, with some good grass fed stew meat and really love that as well.
Feel free to add some hot sauce, cheese, or any toppings your family may like, and enjoy!