It’s officially soup weather here in Atlanta. YES, finally!!
I started out making a buffalo chicken pasta, and it didn’t really turn out to be very good. Actually, it was awful. So, I decided because it is so cold out, and I already had a whole chicken, spaghetti squash, and some bone broth made, I would try to turn this into a buffalo soup. And, I thought it was going to suck too. But, much to my surprise it did not suck. Not at all. In fact, the whole family loved it and we ate ALL of this in one night…
In fact, 4 out of 4 of us loved it! It feels so good on the days you win! Yes, I am Super Mom today and I will enjoy that while it’s here because I know that doesn’t always last long! Until tomorrow night…
Anyway, it ended up being really easy to make, if you use the pre-cut veggies. Anyway, here is what you need for this whatchamacallit soup. For now, I will call it Southwestern Buffalo Chicken Soup.
- Whole chicken (slow cooked or get a rotisserie)
- 4-6 cups bone broth or chicken
- 3/4 cup Tessemae’s Mild Wing Sauce (online) or use another wing sauce like this OR just use extra Hot Sauce
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Pete’s Hot Sauce (or desired amount)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (Whole Foods or amazon)
- 1 pack pre-cut tri-color peppers from Publix (You can also just use any mixture of red, yellow and/or green bell peppers. It is about 1 cup’s worth)
- 1 small onion, chopped (I used TJ’s pre cut onion, garlic shallot pack. Skip the garlic if you use this)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp celtic salt (depending if you use your own broth or what soup you buy)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp butter
- spaghetti squash (optional)
I used roasted spaghetti squash because I was trying to make that other meal. While it doesn’t soak up the flavor in the soup like it did for the pesto, spaghetti squash was still a really nice addition. We all enjoyed having something a little more dense in our soup. If you don’t want to add it or don’t have the time, you can skip it, but I do recommend it.
For your whole chicken, cook it in a slow cooker for 4-6 hours on low. I added salt and pepper to it as a rub. After it’s done, peel back the skin, tear off some meat, dip it in the juices left over in the slow cooker, and try to save some for the soup. Okay, now, tear the rest off and put in a big bowl.
If you roasted your spaghetti squash (cut in half, clean out the seeds, place face down on cookie sheet on 400 for 30 or so minutes until soft), scrape that and add it to your bowl with the chicken. Next, add to avocado oil, Tessemae’s hot sauce to the chicken/squash bowl and mix it all together. While that is soaking in the flavor, get big pot, turn it on high and melt your butter. Then saute your chopped veggies (the onion, garlic and sweet peppers). Once that all starts to brown, add in the chicken and squash (if you used one). Then add in the rest of the ingredients including the broth, cumin, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste and that’s it! It sounds like a lot of work, but it’s not, and it REALLY hit the spot! Did I mention we ate it all!?
Stay warm out there!