I don’t know if you guys have tried Num Num BBQ sauce (I got mine from Whole Foods) but my friend Daphne introduced me to it when she brought it over for our dinner the other night, and I was blown away. Now granted, I haven’t had a lot of BBQ sauce over the past 7 or so years because it is hard to find one that doesn’t have a lot of sugar or other gross ingredients. I know, picky, picky, but even with those complaints I still wasn’t willing to make my own. Anyway after trying this Country Boy’s Mustard Num Num sauce with our dinner, and while Daphne was giving my husband a lacrosse lesson in the kitchen, I blurted out “I’ve got a new dish I’m going to make with this sauce!!” Clearly I wasn’t as focused as much on lacrosse as everyone else was…
Sometimes I will wait to post a recipe just to make sure we love it as is and won’t need any tweaks. Well, it has only bee a few weeks and already we have made this recipe 4 times. It’s now a new staple in our household and there is little that gets me more excited than finding a new staple meal. We love it so much my daughter has been taking it to school to have as a part of her lunch for the past few weeks. Oh and she came up with the name, too, if you couldn’t tell.
You’ll see the recipes calls for avocado oil or butter as the cooking fat. We did try it with avocado once and with butter another time, and, honestly, it tasted pretty much the same so feel free to use whatever you have around! I hope you love this meal as much as we do!
- 1.5 lb chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cabbage chopped or 1 pack pre-cut cabbage
- 3-4 tbsp avocado oil or pure butter
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Add on after all cooked
- 1/2 cup Num Num Mustard BBQ Sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, centers chopped
- cook with avocado oil or butter until brown and mostly cooked.
- add salt garlic powder smoked paprika (optional), scallions.
- once done, add cabbage back to pan and stir in bbq sauce and cilantro.
- In a large pan, add 2 tbsp avocado oil or butter and saute cabbage until it starts to soften and turn brown.
- Then set cabbage aside.
- In the same pan, turn to medium high heat and add another 2 tbsp of avocado oil or butter and cook chicken until it's brown all over.
- Once it's brown, turn the heat down to medium and allow the chicken to cook for another 10-15 minutes or until it's no longer pink in the middle.
- Stir in the salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika to the chicken while it's finishing cooking.
- Once the chicken is done, turn the stove off, add the cabbage back to the pan, along with your BBQ sauce and stir it all together.
- Then garnish with scallions and cilantro and enjoy!
- You could use a rotisserie chicken too if you're trying to save time. Then just skip the cooking part of the chicken and once the cabbage is sauteed, you would then just add the shredded chicken along with all of the rest of the ingredients.
- EDITED 2/16 - I actually like it best with a whole or rotisserie chicken. The juices from the cooked chicken breast can dilute the flavor some. For a quick easy and even tastier meal, try the rotisserie!!