I love a good paleo treat! Unfortunately, I have no willpower when it comes to these scrumptious things so I try not to make them too often. But my friend Alex introduced me to these Chocolate Coconut Cakies from multiplydelicious and they were amazing! Yep, my mouth is watering right now…
So, my hope is that all of you incredible moms can take tomorrow off from cooking, sit back, and relax, and let your family enjoy making these for you. And, I bet they’ll taste even better made by your family!
Here’s what your family needs to make these for you:
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus additional for topping
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 organic medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/2 cup smooth organic almond butter
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1/3 cup canned organic pumpkin
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 ounces dark chocolate (70% cacao) – save some for topping cookies
Here’s what they need to do to make them:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together coconut flour, almond flour, shredded coconut, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a small microwave-safe bowl add pitted dates and 1 tablespoon water. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove dish from microwave and mash dates into a paste using a fork or spoon.
4. Add the date paste to the bowl of a food processor along with almond butter, banana, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla extract. Process until well combined. Then add dry ingredients to food processor and process until everything is incorporated. Remove blade and stir in chopped dark chocolate. The batter will be sticky.
5. Using a ice cream scoop or large tablespoon, scoop dough into balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. About 2″ apart. With wet fingers press gently on tops of cookies. Sprinkle additional dark chocolate and shredded coconut flakes onto the tops of cookies.
Bake cookies for 18 to 20 minutes or until cookies are golden. Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack.
The cookies are great after they are cooled and even better the next day. If you don’t eat them all right away I would suggest storing them in a air tight container in the refrigerator.
Makes about 1 dozen cakies
Okay, okay, I’ll admit, after posting the recipe, it does seem like there are a lot of ingredients (for the kids to make), so if you still want an easy treat that your family might really make, there’s always my favorite chocolate chips cookies and those are super easy to make!!
Either way, enjoy and have a happy Mother’s Day moms!