When we were in San Francisco, I was lucky enough to get some of my Aunt Seiko’s cooking. Man, ever since I was a little girl, I lived for her food. Anyway, this was the first of let’s just say a couple of plates of food I ate that day.
So, I asked her to send me her recipes so I could paleo-fy them (minus the sugar) and tonight, Scott ate almost all of it. I think he liked it! I know I really did! Thanks to Seiko, we now have a new staple.
Okay, so this looks like a lot of ingredients but honestly, it didn’t take 5 minutes to put them all together. Oh, and I accidently put the sesame oil in there twice, so it’s not as much stuff as I’ve included.
This recipe was so easy to make. I didn’t even have to cut up the cabbage (thanks Trader Joe’s!). All I had to do was cut the cilantro, scallions and chicken (you could do this without chicken too) and then mix everything together…
Oh, and earlier in the week, my good hubby grilled about 2-3 lbs of chicken breast (marinated in just evoo, lime, salt and pepper) so I could use it all week. I used some for this dish, he had some for his lunch one day, I had some for snack today, and then I used the restd for another new dish I will post in a few days. What a time saver!!
So here’s what you need for Seiko’s Chinese Chicken Salad:
- 10 oz. shredded cabbage
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- bunch of cilantro (a handful or two)
- 1/2 bunch of scallions
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 15 drops stevia (or 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ¼ cup EVOO
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 slivered almonds (optional)
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Put the cabbage in a large bowl. Then cut up some cilantro and scallions and add that to bowl.
2. Add in almonds, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds to the bowl.
3. In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients (except for the chicken) for salad dressing and set aside.
4. Cut up grilled chicken into small bite sized pieces (I added some to the salad dressing to let it start soaking up the flavor but that probably wasn’t necessary).
5. Pour dressing in large bowl, mix everything together and enjoy!